Intergovernmental Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services
Biodiversity from terrestrial, marine, coastal, and inland water ecosystems provides the basis for ecosystems and the services they provide that underpin human well-being. However, biodiversity and ecosystem services are declining at an unprecedented rate, and in order to address this challenge, adequate local, national and international policies need to be adopted and implemented.
IPBES serves as an interface between the scientific community and policy makers with the aim to strengthen the use of science in policy making. The Platform was established in April 2012 and is an independent intergovernmental body that is open to all member countries of the United Nations. IPBES was officially opened in the UN Campus Bonn in July 2014.
Head of Organization
Executive Secretary of the Intergovernmental Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES)
Platz der Vereinten Nationen 1
D-53113 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 (0)228-815 0570
- 20 November 2019Sierra Leone Joins IPBES as 133rd Member StateEnglish
- 29 October 2019IPBES Announces First Private Sector Partnership for Biodiversity Science with Kering GroupEnglish
- 24 June 2019Extension of Deadline: Call for Nominations of Experts to IPBES Task ForcesEnglish
- 20 May 2019IPBES invited by U.S. Congress to Testify on the #GlobalAssessmentEnglish
- 06 May 2019World is ‘on notice’ as major UN report shows one million species face extinctionEnglish
- 21 January 2019UNCCD and IPBES sign Memorandum of Cooperation in Bonn English