Did you know
by 6,457 weather-related events
Over the last 20 years, 90% of major disasters have been caused by 6,457 recorded floods, storms, heatwaves, droughts and other weather-related events.
Floods accounted for 47% of all weather-related disasters,
affecting 2.3 billion people and killing 157,000.
Overall, heatwaves accounted for 148,000 of the 164,000 lives lost due to extreme temperatures.
92% of heatwave deaths occurred in high-income countries,
with Europe accounting for 90%.
Storms were the deadliest type
of weather-related disaster, accounting for 242,000 deaths or 40% of the global weather-related deaths,
with 89% of these deaths occurring in lower-income countries.
The five countries hit by the highest number of disasters are the United States (472), China (441), India (288), Philippines (274), and Indonesia, (163).
Damages in a magnitude of one trillion dollars can be attributed to disasters during the last decade, one million people were killed, and 220 million people were affected. These are conservative estimates. If the additional losses reflected in national datasets were added, the economic losses would likely increase by an additional 50%.
335 weather-related disasters
In total, an average of 335 weather-related disasters were recorded per year between 2005 and 2014, an increase of 14% from 1995-2004, and almost twice the level recorded during 1985-1995.
- 16 November 2018High Level Forum zu UNISPACE+50 und Space2030 Agenda abgeschlossenDeutsch
- 16 November 2018High Level Forum on UNISPACE+50 and Space2030 Agenda Concluded English
- 12 November 2018UN-SPIDER: Experts Discuss Use of Big Space Data For Disaster Risk Reduction And Emergency Response in AfricaEnglish
- 12 November 2018UN-SPIDER: Experten diskutieren Nutzung von Weltraumdaten für Katastrophen-Risikominderung und Krisenreaktion in AfrikaDeutsch
- 01 August 2018UNU-EHS: Neuer Leitfaden zur Risikobewertung für ökosystembasierte AnpassungDeutsch
- 01 August 2018UNU-EHS: New guidebook on climate risk assessment for Ecosystem-based AdaptationEnglish
- 21 June 2018Gastbeitrag: Wie kann das Katastrophenrisiko in Flussdeltas verringert werden?Deutsch
- 21 June 2018Op-ed: How do you reduce disaster risk in river deltas?English
- 19 June 2018Neue Broschüre stellt UN-SPIDER Beratungsmaßnahmen vorDeutsch
- 19 June 2018New booklet highlights UN-SPIDER advisory support activitiesEnglish
- 18 April 2018UN-SPIDER: Earth Observation & Copernicus Technologies and Solutions for User ApplicationsEnglish
- 18 April 2018UN-SPIDER: Erdbeobachtung, Kopernikustechnologie und Lösungen für BenutzeranwendungenDeutsch
- 06 April 2018UN welcomes Bhutan to Making Cities Resilient Campaign English
- 25 January 2018UNFCCC-Bericht: Stärkere Koordination im Kampf gegen Klimawandel nötigDeutsch
- 25 January 2018UNFCCC: Unprecedented efforts needed to tackle climate and disaster risksEnglish
- 01 June 2017Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the US decision to withdraw from the Paris AgreementEnglish
- 01 June 2017UNFCCC Statement on the US Decision to Withdraw from the Paris AgreementEnglish
- 12 April 2017UNU-EHS e-Newsletter 7English
- 11 April 2017UNFCCC: COP23 Logo Launched in Fiji - Winning Design Unveiled by Incoming COP President English
- 08 March 2017UNU: "Media Advisory" - UNU-EHS, BMBF and MIWF sign funding agreement and MoUEnglish