Bonn UN Talks on ‘United Nations Day’
Kunst- und Ausstellungshalle der Bundesrepublik Deutschland,
Helmut-Kohl-Allee 4, 53113 Bonn
Friday, 22 October 2021, at 6 p.m.
The ceremonial raising of the United Nations flag in front of Haus Carstanjen on 20 June 1996 laid the foundation for Bonn's development into Germany's United Nations City. Today, the City of Bonn has 25 UN agencies and representations with about 1,000 staff. The UN Campus around the "Langer Eugen" high-rise building, which formerly accommodated the Members of Parliament, now forms the heart of the international location.
On the occasion of the special anniversary of 25 years of UN Bonn, we will talk to contemporary witnesses and supporters about the beginnings and development of the German UN city as well as about the prospects of the international location of Bonn against the background of global challenges.
Our guests include:
• Bärbel Dieckmann, former Mayor of Bonn
• Klaus Töpfer, former Executive Director of the United Nations Environment
Programme (UNEP), former Federal Minister of the Environment
• Francesca Racioppi, Head of the WHO European Centre for Environment and
• Richard Kinley, Deputy Executive Secretary of the United Nations Climate
Secretariat for many years
• Nancy Prieto und Neele Hartel, BIMUN/SINUB e. V.
• Bohyun Kim, former United Nations Volunteer at COP23
• Dirk Kaftan, Music Director General, Bonn Beethoven Orchestra
The event will be facilitated by Insa Backe and Ralf Erdenberger (WDR). The Bonn UN Talk 2021 is planned as a hybrid event (face-to-face with video livestream) in German and English. It will be broadcasted live on the Youtube channel of the City of Bonn at https://youtu.be/OdiY5-qiKqE.