The current world population of 7.3 billion is expected to reach 8.5 billion by 2030, 9.7 billion in 2050 and 11.2 billion in 2100.
A significant aging in the next decades is projected for most regions of the world: Europe 34 % of the population is projected to be over 60 years old by 2050. In Latin America, the Caribbean, Asia, the population will be transformed from having 11% to 12% of people over 60 years old today to more than 25% by 2050. Africa has the youngest age distribution of any major area, but it is also projected to age rapidly, with the population aged 60 years or over rising from 5% today to 9% by 2050.
Did you know
11.2 bn by 2100
Current world population of
7.3 billion is expected to reach 8.5 billion by 2030, 9.7 billion in 2050 and 11.2 billion in 2100.
Our planet has the largest youth population ever:
Over one billion people are aged between 15-24.
China and India
China + India remain the two largest countries, each with more than 1 bn people, representing 19 + 18% of the world’s population.
With the highest population growth, Africa is expected to account for more than half of the world’s population growth.
HALF of the world’s population growth is expected in NINE countries during 2015-2050:
India, Nigeria, Pakistan, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ethiopia, United Republic of Tanzania, United States of America, Indonesia and Uganda
In Africa 2015
Children under age 15 account for 41% of the population.
Young persons aged 15 to 24 account for a further 19%.
- 15 June 2017UNCCD: Land for Life Award 2017 winners announcedEnglish
- 06 June 2017UNSSC presents Russian video on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable DevelopmentEnglish
- 01 June 2017Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the US decision to withdraw from the Paris AgreementEnglish
- 01 June 2017UNFCCC Statement on the US Decision to Withdraw from the Paris AgreementEnglish
- 31 May 2017UNCCD: Connecting the dots between climate and landEnglish
- 09 April 2017UNFCCC: Extended Deadline to 16 April! Submit your Climate Action Project to the Momentum for Change Award 2017!English
- 07 April 2017UNU-EHS expert co-authors UNICEF UK report on children’s rights and migrationEnglish
- 07 April 2017UNCCD: Research meets Development: Drought resilience in Sub-Saharan Africa English
- 08 March 2017UNU: "Media Advisory" - UNU-EHS, BMBF and MIWF sign funding agreement and MoUEnglish
- 03 March 2017CMS: The 2017 World Migratory Bird Day website is now live, the registration of events is open!English
- 02 March 2017UNSSC launched its 1st explainer video that introduces 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and SDGsEnglish
- 16 February 2017UN-Chef António Guterres beim G20-Außenministertreffen in Bonn, einem Zentrum der NachhaltigkeitDeutsch
- 16 February 2017UN Chief António Guterres Attends G20 Foreign Ministers Meeting in Bonn, a hub for SustainabilityEnglish
- 01 February 2017Ausschreibung für „Momentum for Change Awards 2017“ läuft an: Präsentieren Sie Ihre Klimalösung!Deutsch
- 01 February 2017Applications for 2017 Momentum for Change Awards Now Open: Submit Your Climate Solution!English