"No country can meet the challenge of climate change alone. Climate change carries no passport; emissions released anywhere contribute to the problem everywhere. It is a threat to lives and livelihoods everywhere. Economic stability and the security of nations are under threat. Only through the United Nations can we respond collectively to this quintessentially global issue."
(Ban Ki-moon, UN Secretary-General, 2015)
Did you know
Greenhouse gases in our atmosphere have increased to levels unprecedented in the past 800,000 years.
The global CO2 concentration increased from ~277ppm to 395ppm between 1950 and 2013,
i.e. an increase of 43%.
Increase of CO2
The largest increase of CO2 occurred between 2000-2012:
more than in any decade in human history,
going from 24.8 Gt CO2 to 35.1 Gt CO2.
Top 4 Emitters
The Top 4 emitters in 2013 were responsible for 58% of global emissions: China 28%, the United States 14%, EU28 10%, India 7%.
China’s per capita emissions have surpassed those of the EU28 and are 45% above the global average; US 16.4t/p, China 7.2t/p, EU 28 6.8 t/p, World 5.0 t/p, India 1.9 t/p.
Nearly 30% of all man-made greenhouse gas emissions come from agriculture, forestry and other land uses and are responsible for a nearly 38% increase in annual global carbon dioxide emissions between 1990 and 2009.
Restoring the soils of degraded ecosystems has the potential to store up to 3 billion tons of carbon annually. This is equivalent to storing up to 30% of annual CO2 fossil fuel emissions.
Climate change disrupts
the seasonal and geographical
patterns of migratory species.
- 19 June 2018New booklet highlights UN-SPIDER advisory support activitiesEnglish
- 19 June 2018Neue Broschüre stellt UN-SPIDER Beratungsmaßnahmen vorDeutsch
- 17 June 2018Welttag der WüstenbekämpfungDeutsch
- 11 May 2018Urgency Underlined as Bonn Climate Talks CloseEnglish
- 11 May 2018Dringlichkeit wird zum Ende der Klima-Gespräche in Bonn hervorgehobenDeutsch
- 26 April 2018UNFCCC: Climate conference in BonnEnglish
- 26 April 2018 UNFCCC: Klimakonferenz in BonnDeutsch
- 19 April 2018UN-Spider: Applied Geography for a better futureEnglish
- 19 April 2018UN-Spider: Angewandte Geographie für eine bessere ZukunftDeutsch
- 19 April 2018Nachhaltigkeits-Ausstellung „Zur Nachahmung empfohlen“ in Bonn eröffnetDeutsch
- 19 April 2018Sustainability exhibition „Examples to follow“ opened in BonnEnglish
- 19 April 2018 UNIDO: 12. Forum zu verantwortlichen RohstoffproduktionDeutsch
- 19 April 2018 UNIDO: 12th Forum on responsible mineral supply chainsEnglish
- 18 April 2018UN-SPIDER: Erdbeobachtung, Kopernikustechnologie und Lösungen für BenutzeranwendungenDeutsch
- 12 April 2018Momentum for Change: Lighthouse ActivityDeutsch
- 12 April 2018Momentum for Change: Lighthouse ActivityEnglish
- 03 April 2018Ministers, UN and African Officials Set for Africa Climate Week English
- 15 February 2018UNFCCC–UNU Early Career Climate Fellowship ProgrammeEnglish
- 15 February 2018Erste Bewerbungsphase läuft: UNFCCC-UNU Forschungsstipendium im Bereich Klima für junge Absolventen Deutsch
- 06 February 2018Der Klimawandel ist ein Problem, für das es eine Lösung gibtDeutsch