"No country can meet the challenge of climate change alone. Climate change carries no passport; emissions released anywhere contribute to the problem everywhere. It is a threat to lives and livelihoods everywhere. Economic stability and the security of nations are under threat. Only through the United Nations can we respond collectively to this quintessentially global issue."
(Ban Ki-moon, UN Secretary-General, 2015)
Did you know
Greenhouse gases in our atmosphere have increased to levels unprecedented in the past 800,000 years.
The global CO2 concentration increased from ~277ppm to 395ppm between 1950 and 2013,
i.e. an increase of 43%.
Increase of CO2
The largest increase of CO2 occurred between 2000-2012:
more than in any decade in human history,
going from 24.8 Gt CO2 to 35.1 Gt CO2.
Top 4 Emitters
The Top 4 emitters in 2013 were responsible for 58% of global emissions: China 28%, the United States 14%, EU28 10%, India 7%.
China’s per capita emissions have surpassed those of the EU28 and are 45% above the global average; US 16.4t/p, China 7.2t/p, EU 28 6.8 t/p, World 5.0 t/p, India 1.9 t/p.
Nearly 30% of all man-made greenhouse gas emissions come from agriculture, forestry and other land uses and are responsible for a nearly 38% increase in annual global carbon dioxide emissions between 1990 and 2009.
Restoring the soils of degraded ecosystems has the potential to store up to 3 billion tons of carbon annually. This is equivalent to storing up to 30% of annual CO2 fossil fuel emissions.
Climate change disrupts
the seasonal and geographical
patterns of migratory species.
- 04 February 2019"Extremes Wetter" hält Welt in Atem – während die USA einfriert, brutzelt Australien und Teile Südamerikas werden überflutetDeutsch
- 04 February 2019World in grip of ‘high impact weather’ as US freezes, Australia sizzles, parts of South America delugedEnglish
- 18 January 2019Buchveröffentlichung: Urbane Klimabelastbarkeit in SüdostasienDeutsch
- 18 January 2019Book release: Urban Climate Resilience in Southeast AsiaEnglish
- 13 December 2018Patricia Espinosa: “It’s Within our Grasp to Finish the Job of COP24”English
- 13 December 2018Patricia Espinosa: „Wir können COP24 erfolgreich beenden“Deutsch
- 12 December 2018Climate Change, Migration and International JusticeEnglish
- 12 December 2018Klimawandel, Migration und internationale GerechtigkeitDeutsch
- 06 December 2018COP24: Diskussion über Umgang mit Klimawandel-bedingter Migration vor Marrakesch-KonferenzDeutsch
- 06 December 2018COP24 Addresses Climate Change Migration Ahead Of UN Migration Pact Meeting In MarrakechEnglish
- 29 November 2018Deutschland verdoppelt seinen Beitrag zum UN-KlimaschutzfondsDeutsch
- 29 November 2018Germany to Double Donation for UN Climate Change FundEnglish
- 27 November 2018Klimawarnung: Große Anstrengungen nötig, um Pariser Ziele zu erreichenDeutsch
- 27 November 2018Climate Alert: Much Effort Needed to Reach the Goals of ParisEnglish
- 21 November 2018Stepped up Global Climate Action Can Close the Emissions GapEnglish
- 21 November 2018Pariser Klimaabkommen erfordert stärkere globale Anstrengungen Deutsch
- 14 November 20182018 Winners Named in Global Youth Video CompetitionEnglish
- 14 November 2018Gewinner der Global Youth Video Competition 2018 gekürtDeutsch
- 07 November 2018Daten für Africa Climate Week 2019 verkündet Deutsch
- 07 November 20182019 Dates Announced for Africa Climate WeekEnglish