Healthy soils are the basis for healthy food production. Soils are the foundation for vegetation which is cultivated or managed for feed, fibre, fuel and medicinal products. Soils support our planet's biodiversity and they host a quarter of the total. Soils help to combat and adapt to climate change by playing a key role in the carbon cycle. Soils store and filter water, improving our resilience to floods and droughts. Soil is a non-renewable resource; its preservation is essential for food security and our sustainable future.
Did you know
The earth's surface is about
70,9% water and
more than 99,7%
of their food (calories) from land.
Soils hosts 25% of the planet's biodiversity.
of all ecosystem services are
are annually lost
to land degradation.
This surface equals Costa Rica.
of global soils are
(16% of Africa).
affected by desertification
It takes up to
to produce 2-3 cm of soil.
1 car = 150m2
1kg beef = 22m2
1 coffee = 4,3m2
1 burger with fries = 3,61m2
- 17 June 2017UNCCD: Message from the Executive Secretary, Ms. Monique Barbut on World Day to Combat Desertification 2017English
- 15 June 2017UNCCD: Land for Life Award 2017 winners announcedEnglish
- 01 June 2017Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the US decision to withdraw from the Paris AgreementEnglish
- 01 June 2017UNFCCC Statement on the US Decision to Withdraw from the Paris AgreementEnglish
- 31 May 2017UNCCD: Connecting the dots between climate and landEnglish
- 31 May 2017UNCCD: Burkina Faso to host high-level meeting on green jobs for youthEnglish
- 31 May 2017UNFCCC: COP23 in Bonn, Germany / UN-Klimakonferenz 2017 in Bonn (engl. Website)Deutsch
- 17 May 2017UNCCD: Connecting the dots between climate and landEnglish
- 11 April 2017UNFCCC: COP23 Logo Launched in Fiji - Winning Design Unveiled by Incoming COP President English
- 07 April 2017UNCCD: Research meets Development: Drought resilience in Sub-Saharan Africa English
- 31 March 2017UNCCD: Agadir Commitment to restore 8 million hectares of forest ecosystemsEnglish
- 07 March 2017IPBES: "Press Release" - Climate Change and Biodiversity: Opportunities and RisksEnglish
- 03 March 2017CMS: The 2017 World Migratory Bird Day website is now live, the registration of events is open!English
- 02 March 2017UNSSC launched its 1st explainer video that introduces 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and SDGsEnglish
- 16 February 2017UN-Chef António Guterres beim G20-Außenministertreffen in Bonn, einem Zentrum der NachhaltigkeitDeutsch
- 16 February 2017UN Chief António Guterres Attends G20 Foreign Ministers Meeting in Bonn, a hub for SustainabilityEnglish
- 01 February 2017Wetlands Are Critical to the Success of the SDGs English
- 01 February 2017Applications for 2017 Momentum for Change Awards Now Open: Submit Your Climate Solution!English
- 13 January 2017PRESS INVITE: 1 February 2017 - EU-UN media round table “The Future of Climate Policy”English
- 13 January 2017PRESSEEINLADUNG: 1. Februar 2017 - EU-UN Medienstammtisch „Zukunft der Klimapolitik“Deutsch